Because of the Christmas holiday, I not only stayed home all weekend, I cooked a lot on Saturday and actually got to watch tons of red zone, cutaways, and highlights, unlike most weekends. I even caught Sunday night and Monday night in their entirety. So I thought I would opine a bit on some of the things I saw.
- A number of Washington players showed a lot of class by going over to a downed Adrian Peterson and looking in on him. This was a good thing for young aspiring players to see, and also speaks to the respect that Peterson has among his peers.
- That Brees guy is pretty good. And personally I have no issue with the Saints running up the score to get the record. I think they knew, as I believe, that there will be a call among a segment of fans to asterisk such a record since Marino did it in a 14 game season. Getting it done in week 15 as opposed to week 16 helps them(the league and whomever in the press agrees) promote the stats and arguments they are using to sell it.
- That Rodgers guy is pretty good too. He hit Jordy Nelson in stride at full speed with a bomb that spent around 50 yards in the air. Sick. Because Green Bay has no running game and its defense can be scored on, I am not ready to hand them the Lombardi though.
- The Detroit Lions played a complete game and just dismantled the Chargers. Ndamakong Suh did not negatively impact the game. Coincidence? I think not. However, Dominic Raiola negatively impacted a really stupid Chargers player in the tunnel before game time.
- I'm fairly certain that Jesus, the Holy Ghost, and many others in the heavenly host had money on Buffalo.
- Any of you who want to grumble about T.J., you only needed to watch
AssyStephen McGee(unkind I know, but I couldn't resist the reference) unimpress for the steaming pile of mediocrity that is the team from south Oklahoma. Yes, Thurs. night hurt, but watching the turds get blown out offered some pain relief.
- Think we have trouble? The Bears have lost their only real QB, their pro bowl RB, and their best receiver and they are now crawling around the bottom of a big barrel of suck. Kinda makes you appreciate what we have a bit more when you think about it.
- As much as I love the job Kubes has done this year, there's no getting around Jim Harbaugh for COTY.
- Pete Carril has done better than I ever would've thought he could do. I was certain he was going to ride the Seahawks into the bottom of the NFL toilet. Instead, he's actually won some games with Tarvaris Jackson at QB. If ever there was validation for the 'Any Given Sunday' rule, this would be it.
- As much as you might dislike the hype machine that surrounds the Patriots, I find it impossible to dislike Robert Kraft. The guy just comes off as a genuinely good dude and has created a real sense of family there with his team. Stays involved despite having to watch his wife die of cancer earlier this year. His team gave him a game ball in the locker room this weekend and even I got misty.
These were just some of my observations from the first weekend where I was able to digest everything football from start to finish. Agree, disagree or offer an addendum below. Oh, and Happy Holidays, everyone!