Shock, sadness, and some measure of understanding.
Mark Berman's Twitter feed says:
The Texans will actually receive multiple undisclosed draft picks in return for trading LB DeMeco Ryans to the Eagles. He must pass physical.
My quick and totally jumbled thoughts are after the jump.
1. This news really makes me sad. DeMeco Ryans is one of my favorite Texans of all time. I hate seeing him go. Before his injury in 2010, I always thought Cap'n Meco would retire a Texan. I really hate this.
2. As much as I hate seeing DeMeco go, I get it. He's making a lot of money, he's a much better fit for a 4-3 scheme than Wade's 3-4, and there's no denying that he was not the same player he was before he got hurt.
3. That said, the Achilles injury he suffered is not something anyone bounces back from. It's entirely reasonable to think 'Meco would have been better in 2012 than he was in 2011.
4. The timing of this is odd. Why not make this move before Mario Williams, Mike Brisiel, and anyone else the Texans may have hoped to keep left? Or before a potential free agent target signed elsewhere?
5. We don't know what DeMeco Ryans is supposed to fetch in trade from the Eagles, but I don't think we should be holding our collective breath. If the package includes anything earlier than a third round pick, I'll be stunned. Frankly, I'm probably projecting my love of DeMeco in even writing those words. Odds are that it won't even be that.
7. No way that DeMeco Ryans' physical joins Sean Elliott's in Houston sports lore, is there?
8. Remember that amazing 2006 Texans draft class? In the last week, Mario Williams, DeMeco Ryans, and Eric Winston saw their Texans careers end. That is sobering.
9. Thanks to the six of you who texted me and the three of you who left me voicemails. That's what I get for thinking I could go to the gym. I promise I won't let that happen again.
Enough from me. How does this monstrous development strike you?