When we unveiled what will be the new BRB logo a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that we'd also soon be undergoing "a dramatic upgrade to our platform and our editorial process." While I still can't give you an exact date as to when that's going to happen, I can tell you that it's coming very soon, and I can give you a peek at what you have to look forward to once it does happen.
To paraphrase a wise man, many of us fear change. We get accustomed to a certain way of doing things, and we're loathe to get out of that comfort zone. Indeed, the last time SB Nation upgraded and changed its platform (it's been a few years), some people immediately and vocally expressed their disapproval of it. Eventually, however, as everyone began to see the benefits of the new platform (e.g., comments that automatically updated live instead of the reader having to manually refresh the screen; yeah, that wasn't always something we could do here, though we take it for granted now), we learned to accept--nay, enjoy!--the new platform. That's what I'm guessing will happen this time around, too.
All I ask is that you give the new model a chance before you run away screaming. With the improvements that have been made, I believe it will be well worth it. Hit the jump for some specifics and a handful of screenshots to see what I'm talking about.
The new platform, which is called SB Nation United, is going to change some things. For example:
- SB Nation United is going to make SB Nation sites load faster and run better, meaning you can get to the content you want faster.
- SB Nation United is going to make sure that you're seeing the best and brightest content up front with its new flexible layout, modern design and a general reduction of clutter.
- SB Nation United is going to make the experience on SB Nation sites run seamlessly from every platform, whether mobile, tablet or computer. No matter where you are, the experience will not change.
There will also be things that aren't going to change:
- SB Nation United will not take away or change any of the community elements you love, like FanPosts, FanShots, and GameThreads.
- SB Nation United will not result in any decrease or change in the content that you've grown to
love like tolerate through gritted teeth on BRB. Same writers, same 2DH, same Battle Red Bag, same Deep Steel Blueprint, same excellent analysis from those who can provide such analysis, same jokes from those who cannot.
Here are some screenshots of what you can expect (except that you can expect, you know, Texans stuff from us):
I know it's a radical departure from what you're used to here at BRB. When it comes, please give it a chance and bear with us as we work through getting adjusted ourselves. What matters at BRB--the community interaction--isn't going anywhere. Neither should you.