USA TODAY Sports
SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! Come watch grown men run around in spandex in super slow-mo for millions of imaginary future dollars! It's the Day Two Open Thread for the 2013 NFL Combine on Battle Red Blog!
Well, here we go again. Yesterday's offensive line and tight end groups provided tons of entertainment in the form of ridiculous forty times run by very, very large men. Today's slate features just as much mouth-watering athleticism, if not more. Here are ten things to watch out for today.
1. Marquise Goodwin has a legitimate shot at beating Chris Johnson's 4.24 record 40-yard dash. His two runs should be one of the highlights of the day.
2. Kenjon Barner weighed in just under 200 pounds on his arrival and wants to prove that his newfound bulk won't slow him down in the open field. He has been clocked running a sub 4.4 before, so I want to see if he can do it again.
3. Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin both look ridiculously fast on tape, but we're not entirely sure how they will do in the forty. Hitting the low 4.4s will cement their positions as two of the most dangerous offensive weapons available this year.
4. Eddie Lacy weighed in and showed that he's got the size to take a hit on the next level, but how fast is he? Can he show he's more than just a bruiser?
5. I personally will be watching Cordarrelle Patterson very closely in the position drills. His biggest knock is poor route running, so I want to see how much he has worked on that in the off season.
6. Can Geno Smith show that he is worth a high first round pick? He's got an opportunity to wow people with accuracy and arm strength tomorrow. It would behoove him not to screw it up.
7. We all know Mike Glennon can throw it a mile, but what will his feet look like? He looked incredibly stiff and technically deficient at the Senior Bowl. If he wants to go in the early rounds, he will have to show improvement in that area.
8. There are a bunch of meh-to-good quarterback prospects this year. What will Ryan Nassib, Tyler Wilson, and Tyler Bray do to separate themselves?
9. Just how athletic is E.J. Manuel? The Florida State project is the closest thing you'll see to a new age athletic quarterback, so today will be huge for raising or lowering his draft stock. If he shows the physical skills to warrant overlooking his technical deficiencies, he might be able to convince a team to take a chance on him in the first few rounds as a developmental backup.
10. Da'Rick Rodgers has been compared physically to Julio Jones, so let's see just how close that comparison is. A few years ago, Jones blew away everyone with a historically ridiculous combine performance. If Rodgers can mimic his athleticism, he could find himself in the first round.
And with that, enjoy the day everyone. I know I will.