Entering the offseason, the Colts had needs all over the roster. It is amazing how many wins they had in 2012, never mind that their coach had cancer and missed most of the season! Their top needs were undoubtedly on the offensive line. They also could upgrade their defensive line, secondary, and some rush OLBs, as they are still working to transition the defense to a 3-4. They have burned through over $35 million of the estimated $45 million in available cap space to upgrade many of those positions.
They signed Donald Thomas from New England to play LG; that should be a shrewd move. Gosder Cherilus was given $34 million over 5 years to man RT opposite 2011 first round pick Anthony Castonzo at LT. While this is a major overpay, it solidifies the idea the Colts won't take a right tackle in the first. Indianapolis could stand to improve at right guard and center, but you can find value there later in this deep draft.
The next glaring need is the secondary, where they signed LaRon Landry to be the new SS and Greg Toler to start opposite a solid-in-2012 Vontae Davis at CB. Toler is probably better suited as a nickel back and special teamer than a starting corner.
You could make a solid argument for a nose tackle. They already signed Aubrayo Franklin on a 1 year/$1 million deal. He isn't the future but will fill the space for now. At DE, Ricky Jean-Francois is a signing much like Gosder Cherilus. He wouldn't be the answer except for the deal he just landed. For 4 years/$22 million, they won't be drafting anyone else to start there. Jean-Francois is solid stuffing the run, but he's not a pass rusher--like Franklin. Corey Redding on the other side is decent, but he's also 33 and owed over $7 mil the next 2 years. Because of that, Datone Jones would make sense here.
Damontre Moore, who was once thought to be top 5 talent, is still available, but he has maturity issues. While Chuck Pagano could handle him, you'd prefer a veteran locker room to help keep him in line, and the Colts don't have that.
The Colts look at the board, see where need meets who's available, and they are thrilled that a top 15 talent and the consensus #2 CB is available this late in the first round. With the 24th pick of the 2013 BRB Mock Draft, the Indianapolis Colts select Xavier Rhodes (CB--Florida State).
Rhodes is a strong and physical CB who plays smart and doesn't take too many risks. This large (6'2", 233 lbs.) CB type is a hot trend in the NFL right now. Rhodes entered college as a WR and is still learning the CB position, but is already polished and strong enough to match up against NFL wide receivers (as evidenced when he held Michael Floyd to 3 catches and 22 yards in his sophomore season bowl game). Rhodes' lack of blazing speed kept him out of the top 10, but this late in the first he is a steal and the Colts are stoked to grab him.
Other ways they could've gone...
+There are a few great DEs that could either start opposite or in front of Ricky Jean-Francois.
+DHB is not the future replacement for Reggie Wayne, but there have already been reaches in this draft for WR, so going a different route makes the most sense for the Colts.
+Eddie Lacy could be a fun pick here to compete with Vick Ballard and Donald Brown, but they have too many other needs and RB is a position in this draft that can be addressed later.
Once again, this seems like sound logic. You might prefer Datone Jones to Rhodes, but Rhodes is a solid choice here. The Night Owl and the Vikings are back on the clock.
1. Kansas City Chiefs--Luke Joeckel (OT--Texas A&M)
2. Jacksonville Jaguars--Eric Fisher (OT--Central Michigan)
3. Oakland Raiders--Sharrif Floyd (DT--Florida)
4. Philadelphia Eagles--Dee Milliner (CB--Alabama)
5. Detroit Lions--Jarvis Jones (LB--Georgia)
6. Cleveland Browns--Keenan Allen (WR--Cal)
7. Arizona Cardinals--Chance Warmack (OG--Alabama)
8. Buffalo Bills--Geno Smith (QB--West Virginia)
9. New York Jets--Dion Jordan (DE/OLB--Oregon)
10. Tennessee Titans--Ezekial Ansah (DE--BYU)
11. San Diego Chargers--Lane Johnson (OT--Oklahoma)
12. Miami Dolphins--Barkevious Mingo (DE/OLB--LSU)
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Tavon Austin (WR--West Virginia)
14. Carolina Panthers--Star Lotulelei (DT--Utah)
15. New Orleans Saints--Sheldon Richardson (DT--Missouri)
16. St. Louis Rams--DeAndre Hopkins (WR--Clemson)
17. Pittsburgh Steelers--Cordarrelle Patterson (WR--Tennessee)
18. Dallas Cowboys--Jonathan Cooper (G--North Carolina)
19. New York Giants--Bjoern Wagner (DE--Florida State)
20. Chicago Bears--Tyler Eifert (TE--Notre Dame)
21. Cincinnati Bengals--Kenny Vaccaro (S--Texas)
22. St. Louis Rams--Jonathan Cyprien (S--Florida International)
23. Minnesota Vikings--Arthur Brown (ILB--Kansas State)
24. Indianapolis Colts--Xavier Rhodes (CB--Florida State)
25. Minnesota Vikings--The Night Owl
26. Green Bay Packers--krkenney
27. Houston Texans--BRB Staff
28. Denver Broncos--Capt Ron
29. New England Patriots--MaloneyPony
30. Atlanta Falcons--riversmccown
31. San Francisco 49ers--TexansDC
32. Baltimore Ravens--Cougfan