This selection was more difficult than I thought it would be. Much to the possible chagrin of Buccaneers fans, I was not planning on selecting Xavier Rhodes with this pick. It’s undeniable that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers need cornerbacks in a bad way, but I passed on Rhodes because:
(a) Rhodes isn’t close to being the best player available.
(b) I’m assuming the deal for Darrelle Revis will get done. No one else seems interested in or capable of acquiring him.
(c) There will be corners that aren’t much worse than Rhodes available at the Buccaneers’ 43rd pick. In fact, Rhodes could even be there.
(d) The progression of Mark Barron and the addition of Dashon Goldson will help improve the pass defense.
In the first round, it was Dee Milliner or bust. I was hoping for a situation where he slid outside the top 5 and I could make an attempt to trade up, but that plan was shattered as the Philadelphia Eagles selected the corner with the 4th overall pick. I also thought about trading back for Rhodes, but with the options available at this selection, I felt it was too good to pass up.
With the 13th pick of the 2013 BRB Mock Draft, the fake Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Tavon Austin (WR--West Virginia).
It may seem odd that a team which ranked 9th in the NFL in total offense and 29th in total defense would use their first round pick on an offensive player. There’s a method to this madness, however. It’s my belief that the Buccaneers are a prime team that can capitalize on the abilities of Tavon Austin. They could use a return man, Tiquan Underwood was not succeeding in the slot, and Austin provides a perfect change of pace to the powerful running style of the muscle hamster, Doug Martin. This is a perfect marriage of abilitiy and opportunity.
This selection will also help out the defense. While the offense overall was ranked in the top 10 in the league, it ranked in the bottom 10 in one of the most important categories--third down conversions. The Buccaneers were only able to convert on 36% of their third downs. Tavon Austin will help in this category immensely. This will keep the defense off the field longer and put them in better position when they do take the field. Austin is a special player that can turn third downs into touchdowns.
It was hard to pass up on Star Lotuleilei; the Buccaneers watched two of their best run-stoppers, Roy Miller and Michael Bennet, leave in free agency. They did add some depth to the defensive line in free agency with the additions of George Selvie and Derek Landri. They will also see a healthy Da’Quan Bowers and Adrian Clayborn next season. I felt there could be some sacrifice allowed here, as the Buccaneers had the NFL’s best run defense, giving up only 82.5 rushing yards per game. Thanks to the heavily stocked defensive tackle class in this year’s draft, they can address that position later.
I’d expect the Buccaneers to target a corner with their second round pick and then look at tight end and defensive tackle for the remainder of the draft.
Intriguing pick by Sweech. I like it. I'm one of those who think Tavon Austin can be a real difference-maker with the right team. While I don't know if Greg Schiano is the kind of coach who will take advantage of Austin's unique skill set, Austin should thrive if positioned correctly and utilized creatively. UTBawse23's Carolina Panthers are now on the clock.
1. Kansas City Chiefs--Luke Joeckel (OT--Texas A&M)
2. Jacksonville Jaguars--Eric Fisher (OT--Central Michigan)
3. Oakland Raiders--Sharrif Floyd (DT--Florida)
4. Philadelphia Eagles--Dee Milliner (CB--Alabama)
5. Detroit Lions--Jarvis Jones (LB--Georgia)
6. Cleveland Browns--Keenan Allen (WR--Cal)
7. Arizona Cardinals--Chance Warmack (OG--Alabama)
8. Buffalo Bills--Geno Smith (QB--West Virginia)
9. New York Jets--Dion Jordan (DE/OLB--Oregon)
10. Tennessee Titans--Ezekial Ansah (DE--BYU)
11. San Diego Chargers--Lane Johnson (OT--Oklahoma)
12. Miami Dolphins--Barkevious Mingo (DE/OLB--LSU)
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Tavon Austin (WR--West Virginia)
14. Carolina Panthers--UTBawse23
15. New Orleans Saints--FreeRange
16. St. Louis Rams--gm.in.waiting
17. Pittsburgh Steelers--clornelas
18. Dallas Cowboys--astrosbro95
19. New York Giants--UprootedTexan
20. Chicago Bears--RedWhitePaws
21. Cincinnati Bengals--McKnight299
22. St. Louis Rams--gm.in.waiting
23. Minnesota Vikings--The Night Owl
24. Indianapolis Colts--ckone
25. Minnesota Vikings--The Night Owl
26. Green Bay Packers--krkenney
27. Houston Texans--BRB Staff
28. Denver Broncos--Capt Ron
29. New England Patriots--MaloneyPony
30. Atlanta Falcons--riversmccown
31. San Francisco 49ers--TexansDC
32. Baltimore Ravens--Cougfan