The last time they played:
Houston 24, San Francisco 21
Beleaguered first round quarterback Alex Smith probably regained some fans after his effort in a loss to the Texans back in 2009. While trailing 21-0, he entered the game in the second half replacing the struggling Shaun Hill. Smith would go on to toss three touchdown passes and rally his team back but would ultimately fall short thanks to an interception late in the fourth quarter. All three scores were to tight end Vernon Davis who finished with seven catches and 93 yards.
Matt Schaub once again put out a quality performance, throwing for 264 yards and two touchdowns. One of them was caught by running back Steve Slaton, who would also add 67 yards on 18 carries and another score. Tight end Owen Daniels had a big game with seven catches, 123 yards and a touchdown.
The Texans would hang on to win and improve their 2009 record to 4-3 and are currently 1-1 all-time against the San Francisco 49ers.
How San Francisco finished the season:
|Off Yds / G||Off. Pts / G||Def Yds / Game||Def Pts / Game|
What San Francisco has done this offseason:
- 1 (18) - Eric Reid, S, LSU
- 2 (40) - Tank Carradine, DE, Florida State
- 2 (55) - Vance McDonald, TE, Rice
- 3 (88) Corey Lemonier, DE/LB, Auburn
- 4 (128) - Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech
- 4 (131) - Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina
- 5 (157) - Quinton Dial, DE, Alabama
- 6 (180) - Nick Moody, OLB, Florida State
- 7 (237) - B.J. Daniels, QB, South Florida
- 7 (246) - Carter Bykowski, OT, Iowa State
- 7 (252) - Marcus Cooper, CB, Rutgers
- CB Nnamdi Asomugha, April 2
- QB Colt McCoy from the Browns, April 2
- WR Marlon Moore, March 20
- PK Phil Dawson, March 19
- DB Craig Dahl, March 16
- LB Dan Skuta, March 14
- DT Glenn Dorsey, March 13
- WR Anquan Boldin from the Ravens for a sixth-round pick, March 11.
- WR Ted Ginn, March 22 (to Panthers)
- DT Ricky Jean-Francois, March 14 (to Colts)
- S Dashon Goldson, March 13 (signed with Buccaneers)
- DT Isaako Sopoaga, March 12 (signed with Eagles)
- TE Delanie Walker, March 12 (signed with Titans)
- Traded QB Alex Smith to Chiefs, Feb. 27
Last week I gave all the credit in the world to Pete Carroll for building up the Seattle Seahawks from nothing. This week I have to say that Jim Harbaugh was given control of a roster that was already very talented. Still, he succeeded where multiple regimes before him failed. In just two seasons, he's led the 49ers to an NFC Championship game and a Super Bowl. Meanwhile he revitalized Alex Smith's career, then flipped him for a second-round pick (plus a conditional pick), and simultaneously made young Colin Kaepernick an overnight star.
Whatever losses suffered by the roster might easily be mitigated by the huge number of draft picks they acquired. They were able to move up and get the safety they wanted in Eric Reid, and they traded for the sure-handed Anquan Boldin to add to their receiving corps.
Make no mistake, Jim Harbaugh is already cementing himself as a top tier head coach in the NFL. Oh, also, he's a RAVING LUNATIC.
Aribitrary prediction made in June of 2013: Houston 27, 49ers 17
Homer Goggles: Engaged
Apparently I got out all of my pessimism last week, as I feared a loss at home against the Seahawks. I predict we'll come back strong and make things difficult for Kaepernick as he fights through a JUNIOR year slump. The loss of wide receiver Michael Crabtree spells doom for the 49ers' passing game. Anquan Boldin makes for a nice replacement but not enough to keep defenses honest. J.J. Watt single-handedly stops the zone read option through sheer brute force.
...Or maybe we lose big!
Check out this fantastic article from FootballOutsiders discussing the 49ers' offense and possible ways of slowing it down.
Best reader prediction: IThinkItsIndecision
Do my job for me and post a well-written or funny prediction. The best one gets put up here.
Leave your thoughts and predictions below! Keep it classy in the comments, and please remember the community guidelines when posting.
Week 1 Preview - Texans vs Chargers
Week 2 Preview - Titans vs Texans
Week 3 Preview - Texans vs Ravens
Week 4 Preview - Seahawks vs Texans