With the fifteenth pick in the 2014 Battle Red Blog Mock Draft, the Denver Broncos select C.J. Mosley (LB--Alabama).
The Denver Broncos are in a "win now" situation with an aging future Hall of Fame quarterback at the helm in Peyton Manning. There were at least two fundamental lessons that could be learned last season when peering through the experienced lens of general manager John Elway. First, the Broncos proved that you can still win a lot of games with an all-out air war if you have enough weapons on offense. The second lesson is that the "unstoppable force" of their offense was introduced to the "immovable object" of a defense built like the Seahawks. Just when we all thought the age-old adage of "defense wins championships" would be silenced by this Broncos team in the last Super Bowl, that adage stuck its proverbial hand in the dirt and blew us out of our shoes. It then stood over us and waved its finger and barked, "DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
The Broncos have been incredibly aggressive in free agency by signing these Pro Bowl veterans: linebacker DeMarcus Ware, cornerback Aqib Talib, and safety T.J. Ward. They also extended head coach John Fox for three more years. When considering how to approach the 2014 draft, it is clear that they need to reinforce their defense. The game plan will still be to unleash the high scoring offense led by Manning to run the score up and keep the lead, but they absolutely need their defensive unit to shut down the opponent, who will often be trying to come from behind. By trading up from the 31st pick to obtain the 15th pick from the Steelers, the Broncos now have the opportunity to get a top talent who can start on defense with immediate impact.
C.J. Mosley is the type of defensive quarterback at middle linebacker who can lead the defense, embolden them in battle with his own ferocity, and outsmart the opponents.
From his draft profile at NFL.com:"Exceptional instincts -- triggers fast downhill. Outstanding urgency. Plays with very good knee bend, balance and base. Secure, drive-through tackler. Hits with explosion and jars ball carriers on impact. Excellent lateral agility -- flows fast and ranges to the sideline. Exceptional weight-room worker with good functional play strength -- plays bigger than his size. Outstanding eyes and anticipation vs. the run. Very good coverage awareness with the ball in front of him -- clings to tight ends passing through zones and blankets speed backs in man coverage. Respected leadership presence -- lines up his teammates and directs traffic. Film junkie. Excellent attitude, effort, field intensity and overall energy. Exceptional football and personal character. Highly competitive. Humble, selfless team player. Outstanding football IQ. Scheme-diverse and versatile. Strong special-teams coverage performer."
Mosley is going to be special in the NFL, and he is exactly what the Broncos need to balance their game on both sides of the ball in the hunt for a Super Bowl championship…now!
SB Nation Player Profile Video:
What do you think about that? Is Mosley a good fit in Denver? Would you have moved up like Ron did to get him? Sound off in the Comments.
The Dallas Cowboys and TonyOverTroy are on the clock. Except he already sent me his pick, so the clock has stopped. Check back at 4 p.m. CDT to see who's heading to Arlington.
Recapping the draft thus far...
1. Houston Texans--Sammy Watkins (WR--Clemson)
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)--Jadeveon Clowney (DE--South Carolina)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars--Johnny Manziel (QB--Texas A&M)
4. Cleveland Browns--Teddy Bridgewater (QB--Louisville)
5. Oakland Raiders--Khalil Mack (LB--Buffalo)
6. Atlanta Falcons--Anthony Barr (LB--UCLA)
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Eric Ebron (TE--UNC)
8. Minnesota Vikings--Greg Robinson (OT--Auburn)
9. Buffalo Bills--Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (S--Alabama)
10. Detroit Lions--Mike Evans (WR--Texas A&M)
11. Tennessee Titans--Justin Gilbert (CB--Oklahoma State)
12. New York Giants--Aaron Donald (DT--Pittsburgh)
13. St. Louis Rams--Jake Matthews (OT--Texas A&M)
14. Chicago Bears--Timmy Jernigan (DT--Florida State)
15. Denver Broncos (TRADE WITH STEELERS) --C.J. Mosley (LB--Alabama)
16. Dallas Cowboys--TonyOverTroy
17. Baltimore Ravens--TexanSam
18. New York Jets--Sugel Mendoza
19. Miami Dolphins--bt20
20. Arizona Cardinals--Lukayyy
21. Green Bay Packers--gyeager
22. Philadelphia Eagles--gm.in.waiting
23. Kansas City Chiefs--MrCatPants
24. Cincinnati Bengals--hlc1221
25. San Diego Chargers--f22a4bandit
26. Cleveland Browns--FreedomRide
27. New Orleans Saints--H&Hguy
28. Carolina Panthers--Nashmeister
29. New England Patriots--37bp
30. San Francisco 49ers--TexansDC
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (TRADE WITH BRONCOS) --Steel Blue Crew
32. Seattle Seahawks--UprootedTexan
33. Houston Texans--bhsman