Sugel Mendoza has been fake-hired as the New York Jets' fake general manager, and he's waiting in the wings to give you his fake pick in the VERY REAL 2014 Battle Red Blog Mock Draft. Allow me to summon him to the podium.
And now the pick:
With the 18th pick in the 2014 BRB Mock Draft, the New York Jets select Calvin Pryor (Safety--Louisville).
Gotta be honest, I was set on picking Odell Beckham, Jr. here. One of the reasons is that I didn't expect Pryor to fall this far, nor did I expect the Jets to make so many moves for their offense this offseason. With the signings of Eric Decker, Michael Vick and Chris Johnson, the Jets' offense now went from pathetic to perhaps explosive, depending on how Vick and Johnson rebound from last season. With those big moves, I feel more comfortable rebuilding their secondary, which once featured the formidable CB duo of Darrelle Revis and Antonio Cromartie. Now, their best player is Dee Millner, who had a shaky rookie campaign but came on strong at the end.
Pryor looks to be an immediate contributor, as he has the ability to play center field as well as be a factor in the run defense. Pryor has a reputation for being a hard hitter, perhaps better at laying wood than any other safety in this year's draft. His size is decent at 5'11" and 207 lbs. He's confident in his game and has the ability to make game-changing plays. Pryor will be a Week 1 starter, bolstering the weakest part of the Jets' defense. He gives the Jets' fearsome defensive front more time to get to the QB, and he should immediately improve a pass defense ranked 22nd in 2014.
I'm a big fan of Calvin Pryor, and only 39% of that fandom is because he was on the same collegiate team as Teddy Bridgewater. What's your reaction to the Jets taking Pryor here?
The draft shall stay in the AFC East, as the Miami Dolphins and bt20 are now on the clock. That pick is due to me by 7 p.m. CDT this evening.
1. Houston Texans--Sammy Watkins (WR--Clemson)
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)--Jadeveon Clowney (DE--South Carolina)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars--Johnny Manziel (QB--Texas A&M)
4. Cleveland Browns--Teddy Bridgewater (QB--Louisville)
5. Oakland Raiders--Khalil Mack (LB--Buffalo)
6. Atlanta Falcons--Anthony Barr (LB--UCLA)
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Eric Ebron (TE--UNC)
8. Minnesota Vikings--Greg Robinson (OT--Auburn)
9. Buffalo Bills--Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (S--Alabama)
10. Detroit Lions--Mike Evans (WR--Texas A&M)
11. Tennessee Titans--Justin Gilbert (CB--Oklahoma State)
12. New York Giants--Aaron Donald (DT--Pittsburgh)
13. St. Louis Rams--Jake Matthews (OT--Texas A&M)
14. Chicago Bears--Timmy Jernigan (DT--Florida State)
15. Denver Broncos (TRADE WITH STEELERS) --C.J. Mosley (LB--Alabama)
16. Dallas Cowboys--Morgan Moses (OT--Virginia)
17. Baltimore Ravens--Marqise Lee (WR--USC)
18. New York Jets--Calvin Pryor (S--Louisville)
19. Miami Dolphins--bt20
20. Arizona Cardinals--Lukayyy
21. Green Bay Packers--gyeager
22. Philadelphia Eagles--gm.in.waiting
23. Kansas City Chiefs--MrCatPants
24. Cincinnati Bengals--hlc1221
25. San Diego Chargers--f22a4bandit
26. Cleveland Browns--FreedomRide
27. New Orleans Saints--H&Hguy
28. Carolina Panthers--Nashmeister
29. New England Patriots--37bp
30. San Francisco 49ers--TexansDC
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (TRADE WITH BRONCOS) --Steel Blue Crew
32. Seattle Seahawks--UprootedTexan
33. Houston Texans--bhsman