The Saints and H&Hguy come marching in with the following pick.
With the 27th pick in the 2014 BRB Mock Draft, the New Orleans Saints select Louis Nix (DT--Notre Dame).
The Saints had a great year last season, finishing 2nd in their division behind the Panthers and winning their first ever road playoff game against Texans North (a/k/a the Eagles). Finishing the year with an 11-5 record and few major holes, the Saints are looking to improve an already solid defense and offense through the draft.
The Saints made one of the largest splashes this offseason with the signing of S Jairus Byrd. Adding one of the best ball-hawking safeties in the league will surely make their already formidable defense (4th overall) even better. This pick could have gone offense or defense, as the running back and wide receiver positions for the Saints lack a dynamic number 1 player.
However, the run-stopping ability of Nix could greatly increase what is at best an average run defense for the Saints. Every team in the playoffs last year had an elite, or at the very least above average run game, and the ability to stop Marshawn Lynch, Frank Gore, LeSean McCoy, Eddie Lacy, and Cam Newton will be vital to a deep Saints playoff run.
With Nix you get great size, strength, and leverage to consistently draw double teams from the opposing team (freeing up other linebackers and edge rushers). Louis has great upside and experience from starting 3 years at Notre Dame, but he does not necessarily have to start next year. Nix is a versatile player, able to play effectively in 3-4 or 4-3 schemes, and should be a great fit in a very good New Orleans defense coached by Rob Ryan.
Many draftniks are concerned about the condition of Nix's knee and have lowered their value of him to reflect that. Others, like H&Hguy presumably, aren't worried at all. Where do you stand?
That brings us to the Carolina Panthers and Nashmeister. That selection is due to me by 12 p.m. CDT today.
1. Houston Texans--Sammy Watkins (WR--Clemson)
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)--Jadeveon Clowney (DE--South Carolina)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars--Johnny Manziel (QB--Texas A&M)
4. Cleveland Browns--Teddy Bridgewater (QB--Louisville)
5. Oakland Raiders--Khalil Mack (LB--Buffalo)
6. Atlanta Falcons--Anthony Barr (LB--UCLA)
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Eric Ebron (TE--UNC)
8. Minnesota Vikings--Greg Robinson (OT--Auburn)
9. Buffalo Bills--Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (S--Alabama)
10. Detroit Lions--Mike Evans (WR--Texas A&M)
11. Tennessee Titans--Justin Gilbert (CB--Oklahoma State)
12. New York Giants--Aaron Donald (DT--Pittsburgh)
13. St. Louis Rams--Jake Matthews (OT--Texas A&M)
14. Chicago Bears--Timmy Jernigan (DT--Florida State)
15. Denver Broncos (TRADE WITH STEELERS) --C.J. Mosley (LB--Alabama)
16. Dallas Cowboys--Morgan Moses (OT--Virginia)
17. Baltimore Ravens--Marqise Lee (WR--USC)
18. New York Jets--Calvin Pryor (S--Louisville)
19. Miami Dolphins--Zack Martin (OG/OT--Notre Dame)
20. Arizona Cardinals--Austin Seferian-Jenkins (TE--Washington)
21. Green Bay Packers--Darqueze Dennard (CB--Michigan State)
22. Philadelphia Eagles--Odell Beckham, Jr. (WR--LSU)
23. Kansas City Chiefs--Brandin Cooks (WR--Oregon State)
24. Cincinnati Bengals--Blake Bortles (QB--UCF)
25. San Diego Chargers--Kyle Fuller (CB--Virginia Tech)
26. Cleveland Browns--Ryan Shazier (LB--Ohio State
27. New Orleans Saints--Louis Nix (DT--Notre Dame)
28. Carolina Panthers--Nashmeister
29. New England Patriots--37bp
30. San Francisco 49ers--TexansDC
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (TRADE WITH BRONCOS) --Steel Blue Crew
32. Seattle Seahawks--UprootedTexan
33. Houston Texans--bhsman