As we move along in our great BRB Mock Experiment, Tim has graciously allowed me to step in here and draft for the five-time Super Bowl champion San Francisco 49ers. As I mull over prospects at pick 30, I realize there is an abundance of good talent, able to contribute from day one, available such as Minnesota's Ra'Shede Hageman and TCU's Jason Verrett (who New England just stole because they knew we knew about his brilliance). Let's be honest here, if the 49ers wanted to move up and grab a couple of these guys then they could with their vast number of draft picks. However, I am only limited to one pick, so...
With the 30th pick in the 2014 BRB first round mock draft, the San Francisco 49ers select Missouri DE/OLB Kony Ealy.
The NFL is a passing league and any good defense worth its weight in Nike uniform material must rush the passer. For the 49ers, they have a talented outside linebacker in Aldon Smith, but he's, well, not reliable. This is a man who has been arrested three times since entering the league in 2011 and has also been banged up here and there, impacting his play. With a team as talent-laden as the 49ers, they can afford to pick and choose whomever they desire and someone to rush the quarterback is a must-have to avoid being caught with their pants down. Luckily, Ealy's also a pretty good value at 30.
Ealy's not an elite measurable guy, but he has ability and technique. He's quick off the snap, long in his arms, is able to shed blocks, and has multiple pass rush moves, well ahead of the rookie curve. This is a guy who has a nose for the passer and gets there.
Where Ealy fits, be it 3-4 defensive end or 3-4 outside linebacker, is up for debate but the 49ers could also benefit from having someone to shoulder the burden of Cowboy Justin Smith, which is why Hageman is a popular pick for the 49ers, too.
Be it an end or linebacker, Ealy can provide a safety net for the 49ers and contribute in a rotational and special teams role as he begins to be molded by the best defensive coaching staff in the business.
Let's recap as we head into the weekend. Steel Blue Crew has plenty of time to think about his decision, as that pick isn't due to Tim until 7 p.m. CDT on Sunday.
1. Houston Texans--Sammy Watkins (WR--Clemson)
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)--Jadeveon Clowney (DE--South Carolina)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars--Johnny Manziel (QB--Texas A&M)
4. Cleveland Browns--Teddy Bridgewater (QB--Louisville)
5. Oakland Raiders--Khalil Mack (LB--Buffalo)
6. Atlanta Falcons--Anthony Barr (LB--UCLA)
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Eric Ebron (TE--UNC)
8. Minnesota Vikings--Greg Robinson (OT--Auburn)
9. Buffalo Bills--Ha Ha Clinton-Dix (S--Alabama)
10. Detroit Lions--Mike Evans (WR--Texas A&M)
11. Tennessee Titans--Justin Gilbert (CB--Oklahoma State)
12. New York Giants--Aaron Donald (DT--Pittsburgh)
13. St. Louis Rams--Jake Matthews (OT--Texas A&M)
14. Chicago Bears--Timmy Jernigan (DT--Florida State)
15. Denver Broncos (TRADE WITH STEELERS) --C.J. Mosley (LB--Alabama)
16. Dallas Cowboys--Morgan Moses (OT--Virginia)
17. Baltimore Ravens--Marqise Lee (WR--USC)
18. New York Jets--Calvin Pryor (S--Louisville)
19. Miami Dolphins--Zack Martin (OG/OT--Notre Dame)
20. Arizona Cardinals--Austin Seferian-Jenkins (TE--Washington)
21. Green Bay Packers--Darqueze Dennard (CB--Michigan State)
22. Philadelphia Eagles--Odell Beckham, Jr. (WR--LSU)
23. Kansas City Chiefs--Brandin Cooks (WR--Oregon State)
24. Cincinnati Bengals--Blake Bortles (QB--UCF)
25. San Diego Chargers--Kyle Fuller (CB--Virginia Tech)
26. Cleveland Browns--Ryan Shazier (LB--Ohio State
27. New Orleans Saints--Louis Nix (DT--Notre Dame)
28. Carolina Panthers--Taylor Lewan (OT--Michigan)
29. New England Patriots--Jason Verrett (CB--TCU)
30. San Francisco 49ers--Kony Ealy (DE/LB--Missouri)