Representing the Falcons in the 2014 BRB Mock Draft is Three and Out, and he shall now disclose the identity of Atlanta's pick at No. 6. I like to think he was doing the Dirty Bird as he typed this explanation.
With the 6th pick in the 2014 BRB Mock Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Anthony Barr (LB--UCLA)
The Falcons have a very talented team, which is why I found it odd the way that their 2013 season turned out. Matt Ryan is an extremely good, arguably great, QB who is paired with one of the top receiving combos in the league and a future Hall of Fame running back. While all three of those players were injured last year, Ryan held his own and kept playing hard the whole year despite an offensive line that was about as effective as the Cowboys if it's Week 17 and a defense that completely lacked a pass rush, which consistently gave opposing quarterbacks entirely too much time to throw the ball.
I felt the only two positions worth addressing here were offensive tackle and some sort of pass rusher, whether it be DE or OLB. Since the Falcons addressed some of their OL problems in free agency and the Seahawks showed everyone that defense truly does win championships (or at the very least, you can't win without one), I decided to take a pass rusher.
Jadeveon Clowney obviously would have been my first pick, but I didn't have high hopes of him still being here with the 6th pick (which turned out to be true). That left Barr and Khalil Mack. With Oakland taking Mack, that made my decision a whole lot easier. Anthony Barr is one hell of a consolation prize.
He's fast. Really fast. His first step is crazy explosive for someone who just changed positions two years ago. His speed also really helps him when chasing plays from the backside; the Oregon game is a prime example of this.
Now despite this speed, he still seems to be out of position quite a bit. To be fair, he is still learning the position, which is both a positive and negative. It's a positive because he still has a ton of room to grow and get even better. However, this also means that he may not be "pro-ready" at the moment.
All things taken into account, I believe that Anthony Barr will turn out to be an excellent player and will fit in quite well with the Falcons.
Barr's an intriguing addition for the Falcons here. Recall that at the beginning of the draft season, Barr was being mentioned as a very high pick; as the days have passed, however, his stock (at least publicly) seems to have fallen to the point where many pundits have him slipping to much later in the first round. While I likely would have gone with Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews here, I understand the allure of Barr. Your thoughts?
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and theSpaceCityKid are now on the clock. Tampa Bay's pick is due to me by 7 p.m. CDT this evening.
One trade note before we recap what's happened thus far...the Broncos (Capt Ron) and Steelers (Steel Blue Crew) have made a trade for the purpose of our mock draft. The Broncos receive the Steelers' 2014 first round pick (No. 15 overall) in exchange for the Steelers receiving Denver's 2014 first round pick (No. 31 overall), Denver's 2014 third round pick (No. 95 overall), and Denver's 2014 seventh round pick (No. 246 overall). While Pittsburgh won't get to use those third and seventh round picks in our mock draft, they would theoretically be improving their odds of injecting youth into their roster.
So, in light of that trade, here's the first round recap and adjusted draft order:
1. Houston Texans--Sammy Watkins (WR--Clemson)
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)--Jadeveon Clowney (DE--South Carolina)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars--Johnny Manziel (QB--Texas A&M)
4. Cleveland Browns--Teddy Bridgewater (QB--Louisville)
5. Oakland Raiders--Khalil Mack (LB--Buffalo)
6. Atlanta Falcons--Anthony Barr (LB--UCLA)
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--theSpaceCityKid
8. Minnesota Vikings--bcaust
9. Buffalo Bills--NoSafetiesNeeded
10. Detroit Lions--UTBawse23
11. Tennessee Titans--BostonianToro
12. New York Giants--TooDarkMark
13. St. Louis Rams--grandmasteroz
14. Chicago Bears--JayTrain52
15. Denver Broncos (TRADE WITH STEELERS) --Capt. Ron
16. Dallas Cowboys--TonyOverTroy
17. Baltimore Ravens--TexanSam
18. New York Jets--Sugel Mendoza
19. Miami Dolphins--bt20
20. Arizona Cardinals--Lukayyy
21. Green Bay Packers--gyeager
22. Philadelphia Eagles--gm.in.waiting
23. Kansas City Chiefs--MrCatPants
24. Cincinnati Bengals--hlc1221
25. San Diego Chargers--f22a4bandit
26. Cleveland Browns--FreedomRide
27. New Orleans Saints--H&Hguy
28. Carolina Panthers--Nashmeister
29. New England Patriots--37bp
30. San Francisco 49ers--TexansDC
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (TRADE WITH BRONCOS) --Steel Blue Crew
32. Seattle Seahawks--UprootedTexan
33. Houston Texans--bhsman