Let's look at the highlights of Jerome Mathis' career since your Houston Texans drafted him 114th overall out of Hampton College back in April of 2005:
- Named to 2005 AFC Pro Bowl roster as kick returner after posting stellar rookie season.
- Hasn't been healthy since that Pro Bowl season.
- Shortly before the 2006 Draft, did a header off his motorcycle.
- Had foot surgery that may or may not have been due to said Excitabike accident.
- After returning to the team for two (2) weeks of the 2006 season, tight hamstrings forced him to the injured reserve list for the duration of the season.
- After making it through a whopping five (5) days of OTA back in May of 2007, he begs off from further practice because of achy hamstrings.
- As the team is loathe to cut a Pro Bowler, he makes the 2007 active roster, only to see him head back to the IR with a stress fracture in one of his delicate legs, ending his 2007 season.
- Unleashes hounds of hell upon the citizens of Brazoria County. This is not a metaphor.
Update [2008-2-20 11:19:32 by Tim]:: Strong words from John McClain in today's Chronicle about this. I couldn't agree more.