Co-managing the Glitter Kitties, the original Odd Couple, Rip Jersey and Cut Block, prefaced their pick with:
Last season, the Jags lost Aaron Kampmann midseason. Their pass rush immediately fell off the face of the earth and their record went from first to forgotten. Going into the draft, it is uncertain where Kampmann will be in the upcoming season. But, one thing is certain, the pass rush has to improve and it just so happens that there is a bumper crop of players available in the draft that could make an immediate impact.
The suspense is killing me dead!
Yes, the Jags may also be in the market for that QB of the future, Christian Ponder, and the WR corps is not really there where it needs to be. But, I see the possibility of those positions being taken care of in the coming rounds.
At first blush, there are several qualified and universally accepted DE/DT types on the board. Ryan Kerrigan, J.J. Watt and Cameron Jordan are all still there. But, one of those players just seems to be the best fit coming to the Jags.
So, without further ado, the Jacksonville Jaguars select Cal's DE Cameron Jordan. Jordan comes to the Jags coming off a dominant pass rushing career at Cal, where he played three years next to last year's No. 1 Tyson Alualu. With Kampmann out, the re-teaming of Jordan with Alualu should translate to a quick assimilation of
Jordan to the pro game. At 6'-4", 286, Jordan comes to the Jags with some already established pass rushing moves including a power swim move that has proven very effective, and a spin and rip move. For a good sized DE, he has some moves, but he is also solid against the run. In a division with Chris Johnson and Arian Foster, he will be tested. He is strong enough to hold the edge and good against double teams.
Coming from Cals multiple-look defense, Jordan has played all around the line and been dominant. He has handled guards and tackles. He has even stood up from time to time without any hitches. But, one of the most impressive parts of his game is his tackling. When he wraps up a ball carrier the play is over. The Jags have made an impressive pick-up from the 16th draft position.
"The Jags have made an impressive pick-up from the 16th position????" They love their pick! What about you, BRB? Do they deserve group hugs? Or rochambeaus? You decide.
Whomever has the 17th pick is now on the clock!
1. Carolina--Cam Newton (QB--Auburn)
2. Denver--Patrick Peterson (CB--LSU)
3. Buffalo--Marcell Dareus (DT--Alabama)
4. Cincinnati--Von Miller (OLB/DE--Texas A&M)
5. Arizona--A.J. Green (WR--Georgia)
6. Cleveland--Da'Quan Bowers (DE--Clemson)
7. San Francisco--Robert Quinn (LB--North Carolina)
8. Tennessee--Nick Fairley (DT--Auburn)
9. Southern Oklahoma--Tyron Smith (OT--USC)
10. Washington--Jake Locker (QB--Washington)
11. Houston--Prince Amukamara (CB--Nebraska)
12. Minnesota--Blaine Gabbert (QB--Mizzou)
13. Detroit--Julio Jones (WR--Alabama)
14. St. Louis--Aldon Smith (DE/OLB--Mizzou)
15. Mike Pouncey (G/C--Florida)
16. Jacksonville--Cameron Jordan (DE--Cal)