You know how, in real life, after every draft pick, the team talks about how they got exactly who they were targeting, that the draftee was the top player on their board, that they expect big things from him, and/or how excited they are that ________ _________ is now a member of the organization? It's almost always a lovefest between team and draftee. At the very least, the negativity stays behind closed doors or festers for a year or two.
What you never see immediately after a pick is made is a team saying, "Yeah, we took him. We're not really pleased with the pick. Would have really liked to go in another direction, to tell you the truth, but what are you gonna do? Maybe it'll work out. Probably not, but whatever. Pass the Kamchatka, would you, sport? Daddy needs to freshen up his cocktail." If you ever hear something like that come out of a general manager's mouth, rejoice, because you can say that you knew BricAM before he hit the big time. I now give you Buffalo's pick, via Bric; I really, really, REALLY hope we get to here him conduct a post-draft press conference someday.
The Buffalo Bills, despite having just signed Kevin Kolb, have no real option at starting QB (although this still gives them the third best QB in their division).
While Kolb may be an option for this season, they need someone to be the franchise QB they've longed for since Jim Kelly.
Will Geno Smith (QB--West Virginia) be that guy?
Honestly? Probably not. But they need to make the best of a bad situation and create some competition for the job and maybe bring out the best of either man.
I actually had to e-mail Bric after I read that to confirm that he was actually picking Geno Smith. I mean, I thought that's what he meant, but he seemed so unenthusiastic that I wanted to double-check. He responded in the affirmative, so Geno Smith is now off the board. BRB's own Mbw987 is now on the clock for the New York Jets.
1. Kansas City Chiefs--Luke Joeckel (OT--Texas A&M)
2. Jacksonville Jaguars--Eric Fisher (OT--Central Michigan)
3. Oakland Raiders--Sharrif Floyd (DT--Florida)
4. Philadelphia Eagles--Dee Milliner (CB--Alabama)
5. Detroit Lions--Jarvis Jones (LB--Georgia)
6. Cleveland Browns--Keenan Allen (WR--Cal)
7. Arizona Cardinals--Chance Warmack (OG--Alabama)
8. Buffalo Bills--Geno Smith (QB--West Virginia)
9. New York Jets--Mbw987
10. Tennessee Titans--Deaconbrodie
11. San Diego Chargers--grandmasteroz
12. Miami Dolphins--BigHD
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Sweech
14. Carolina Panthers--UTBawse23
15. New Orleans Saints--FreeRange
16. St. Louis Rams--gm.in.waiting
17. Pittsburgh Steelers--clornelas
18. Dallas Cowboys--astrosbro95
19. New York Giants--UprootedTexan
20. Chicago Bears--RedWhitePaws
21. Cincinnati Bengals--McKnight299
22. St. Louis Rams--gm.in.waiting
23. Minnesota Vikings--The Night Owl
24. Indianapolis Colts--ckone
25. Minnesota Vikings--The Night Owl
26. Green Bay Packers--krkenney
27. Houston Texans--BRB Staff
28. Denver Broncos--Capt Ron
29. New England Patriots--MaloneyPony
30. Atlanta Falcons--riversmccown
31. San Francisco 49ers--TexansDC
32. Baltimore Ravens--Cougfan