Through a friend, gm.in.waiting (I like to think he's the guy pictured above) crushes hopes and dreams across Space City by handing in the Rams' first first-round pick of the 2013 BRB Mock Draft.
The Rams have two first round picks this year as a result of last year's trade with the Redskins for the second overall pick (which went on to be Robert Griffin III). When you look at the Rams as a whole, they have "their guy" at QB (first and foremost) and an already solid defense. Two key losses have already hit the offensive side of the ball with Danny Amendola signing with the Patriots and Steven Jackson rolling to Atlanta. Unless the Rams want things to get lopsided, they would be best served helping Sam Bradford with a weapon.
With the 17th pick of the 2013 BRB Mock Draft, the St. Louis Rams select DeAndre Hopkins (WR--Clemson).
The Rams' leading WR last year was their 4th round selection from the 2012 draft, Chris Givens. He had 698 (!!!) receiving yards, followed by Brandon Gibson (691 yards), who also left in free agency (for Miami), and then Amendola, who was hurt and missed time. This is by far the most pathetic WR corps in the league. Even though the Rams just added Brian Quick at the top of the second and Givens in the 4th last year, they still need a ton of help. Bradford has to have some options.
Sorry, BRBers. I would love to see Hopkins on the table when the Texans pick at No. 27, but with the muddied view at the top of the WR ranks, he will most likely be gone before we get a chance to even catch a whiff of his braids.
We may have a case of art imitating life here. It's entirely possible, if not likely, that the Rams do exactly this on April 25th, and that a healthy segment of Texans fans react by sobbing or punching a wall (we all know profound sadness and blinding rage are the only two acceptable emotional reactions). Hard to fault the Rams and/or gm.in.waiting for this pick.
The Steelers and clornelas are now on the clock; that pick is due to be by e-mail no later than 7 p.m. CDT.
1. Kansas City Chiefs--Luke Joeckel (OT--Texas A&M)
2. Jacksonville Jaguars--Eric Fisher (OT--Central Michigan)
3. Oakland Raiders--Sharrif Floyd (DT--Florida)
4. Philadelphia Eagles--Dee Milliner (CB--Alabama)
5. Detroit Lions--Jarvis Jones (LB--Georgia)
6. Cleveland Browns--Keenan Allen (WR--Cal)
7. Arizona Cardinals--Chance Warmack (OG--Alabama)
8. Buffalo Bills--Geno Smith (QB--West Virginia)
9. New York Jets--Dion Jordan (DE/OLB--Oregon)
10. Tennessee Titans--Ezekial Ansah (DE--BYU)
11. San Diego Chargers--Lane Johnson (OT--Oklahoma)
12. Miami Dolphins--Barkevious Mingo (DE/OLB--LSU)
13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Tavon Austin (WR--West Virginia)
14. Carolina Panthers--Star Lotulelei (DT--Utah)
15. New Orleans Saints--Sheldon Richardson (DT--Missouri)
16. St. Louis Rams--DeAndre Hopkins (WR--Clemson)
17. Pittsburgh Steelers--clornelas
18. Dallas Cowboys--astrosbro95
19. New York Giants--UprootedTexan
20. Chicago Bears--RedWhitePaws
21. Cincinnati Bengals--McKnight299
22. St. Louis Rams--gm.in.waiting
23. Minnesota Vikings--The Night Owl
24. Indianapolis Colts--ckone
25. Minnesota Vikings--The Night Owl
26. Green Bay Packers--krkenney
27. Houston Texans--BRB Staff
28. Denver Broncos--Capt Ron
29. New England Patriots--MaloneyPony
30. Atlanta Falcons--riversmccown
31. San Francisco 49ers--TexansDC
32. Baltimore Ravens--Cougfan