Though we've only completed six picks, the 2014 BRB Mock Draft has already had quite a few swerves. Get ready for another as theSpaceCityKid divulges the identity of Tampa Bay's first round pick.
With the 7th pick of the 2014 BRB Mock Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select Eric Ebron (TE--UNC).
In 2013, Tampa Bay had the 31st ranked offense based on overall yards. This was mainly due to ranking 31st in passing yards per game. That tends to happen when you cycle through young QBs the way they did last year. Especially when you only have one true weapon at WR in Vincent Jackson.
Once he took the head coaching job, Lovie Smith immediately asked for the company checkbook to add a lot of top tier talent on the defensive side of the ball. Tampa Bay added Clinton McDonald and Michael Johnson to their front seven, and although they released Darrelle Revis, they signed Alterraun Verner to replace him as CB1. Also, Lovie seemed to prioritize signing Josh McCown to give Mike Glennon a veteran presence and the franchise a year to figure out what they have in the young signal caller.
Some may think the pick should be Greg Robinson, but the Bucs have Anthony Collins and Demar Dotson playing well at left and right tackle, respectively, and they are both under reasonable, multi-year deals. Tampa Bay could use help on the inside of the line, but they should be able to find that in a later pick.
Bottom line: The Bucs need an offensive playmaker to give their QB another weapon to put points on the board. There are two options here: Mike Evans and Eric Ebron. Evans has a skill-set very similar to a guy that Tampa Bay already has on the roster--Vincent Jackson. Plus, there are a lot of big, physical WRs that will be available in the next round. However, Ebron is a one of kind player in this year's class. Ebron has the size and speed to be a mismatch for any linebacker or safety. His versatility is a huge plus for today's NFL and he provides a much needed outlet for McCown.
I did not see that one coming. Your reaction to the pick?
The Minnesota Vikings and bcaust are now on the clock. Or they would be, if he hadn't already sent me his pick. Check back at 4 p.m. to see which player will be heading to the Twin Cities in our mock draft.
The draft thus far:
1. Houston Texans--Sammy Watkins (WR--Clemson)
2. St. Louis Rams (from Washington)--Jadeveon Clowney (DE--South Carolina)
3. Jacksonville Jaguars--Johnny Manziel (QB--Texas A&M)
4. Cleveland Browns--Teddy Bridgewater (QB--Louisville)
5. Oakland Raiders--Khalil Mack (LB--Buffalo)
6. Atlanta Falcons--Anthony Barr (LB--UCLA)
7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Eric Ebron (TE--UNC)
8. Minnesota Vikings--bcaust
9. Buffalo Bills--NoSafetiesNeeded
10. Detroit Lions--UTBawse23
11. Tennessee Titans--BostonianToro
12. New York Giants--TooDarkMark
13. St. Louis Rams--grandmasteroz
14. Chicago Bears--JayTrain52
15. Denver Broncos (TRADE WITH STEELERS) --Capt. Ron
16. Dallas Cowboys--TonyOverTroy
17. Baltimore Ravens--TexanSam
18. New York Jets--Sugel Mendoza
19. Miami Dolphins--bt20
20. Arizona Cardinals--Lukayyy
21. Green Bay Packers--gyeager
22. Philadelphia Eagles--gm.in.waiting
23. Kansas City Chiefs--MrCatPants
24. Cincinnati Bengals--hlc1221
25. San Diego Chargers--f22a4bandit
26. Cleveland Browns--FreedomRide
27. New Orleans Saints--H&Hguy
28. Carolina Panthers--Nashmeister
29. New England Patriots--37bp
30. San Francisco 49ers--TexansDC
31. Pittsburgh Steelers (TRADE WITH BRONCOS) --Steel Blue Crew
32. Seattle Seahawks--UprootedTexan
33. Houston Texans--bhsman