Pro Football Focus has their preview of this week's massive AFC South showdown between the beleaguered Houston Texans and the fatally flawed Tennessee Titans. Surprisingly, it's not just, "Do yourself a favor and watch something else on Sunday."
· Read about how the Texans won’t miss the services of Ryan Mallett.
· DeAndre Hopkins ranks sixth in the league with a +10.2 overall rating, and he ranks ninth in the league at 2.26 yards per route run.
· All of Houston’s tight ends have negative overall ratings, highlighted by Garrett Graham’s -9.6 rating. That ranks him 62nd out of 64 tight ends (minimum 25% of the snaps) and he has the worst pass rating at -8.3.
· Jadeveon Clowney ranks second in the league for 3-4 outside linebackers in run stop percentage at 10.2% (minimum of 50% of the snaps), trailing only Khalil Mack (10.5%). He’s made 12 stops on 118 run snaps.
· J.J. Watt is by far the best 3-4 defensive end with a +28.2 overall rating, (6.9 better than the next closest player). Watt has recorded 28 stops, 16 QB hurries, 11 QB hits and six sacks.
· Kareem Jackson has struggled in coverage, allowing 26 receptions on 35 targets for 330 yards, three touchdowns and allowing an NFL QB rating of 131.8. He ranks last (73rd) of cornerbacks with at least 50% of the snaps in cover snaps per reception at 6.6.
· With Arian Foster out for the season, Alfred Blue (-2.0 overall on 127 snaps) and Chris Polk (-2.7 overall on 148 snaps) will likely be the next backs in line.
Frankly, I don't know how the Texans' tight ends aren't grading out at -Infinity.
· Read all about the consistency Zach Mettenberger brings to the QB position.
· Delanie Walker has been a big weapon for the Titans. Read about where he ranks through Week 7 amongst all tight ends.
· Taylor Lewan (+2.0 overall) is the best lineman for the Titans, while the rest of their regulars rank below -6.3, with Chance Warmack the worst of the bunch at -10.3 overall.
· Marcus Mariota ranks 23rd amongst quarterbacks (minimum 25% of the snaps) with a -2.6 overall rating. Meanwhile, Zach Mettenberger registered a -4.9 overall rating in his only start last week.
· Jurrell Casey ranks behind only J.J. Watt in 3-4 defensive ends with a +21.3 overall rating, including a +16.4 rush rating and a +4.9 run stop rating.
· Brian Orakpo ranks 12th overall amongst 3-4 outside linebackers with a +8.6 rating, and he ranks 10th with a +6.4 pass rush rating (minimum 25% of the snaps).
Good thing the Texans are so solid defending tight ends. What's that? They're not? They're actually quite terrible at it? Oh. That doesn't seem to bode well for Sunday's game.
Titans vs Texans coverage