Pro Football Focus has their grades out for various Texans from Sunday's win over the Titans (a/k/a "The Last Whizzing"). As always, you may find that you disagree with their assessment, but PFF may also point out a thing or two you had not considered when you watched the game live. Enjoy.
• Brian Hoyer went 23-for-35 for 235 yards and two touchdowns with an NFL rating of 103.9. However, he was sacked four times and received a -1.7 overall grade.
• After a disastrous performance last week (-11.3 overall), right tackle Chris Clark bounced back to post the highest offensive line grade at +1.9 overall on his 30 snaps.
• Alfred Blue saw the most snaps amongst running back (33), but he posted the lowest overall grade (-1.7). Meanwhile, Jonathan Grimes (18 snaps) and Chris Polk (15 snaps) each recorded a -1.1 rating.
• DeAndre Hopkins led the offense with a rating of +2.1. He hauled in 8-of-11 targets for 94 yards and one touchdown while forcing two missed tackles.
• J.J. Watt had a monster game, posting a +14.9 overall rating including a +11.7 pass rush rating. He recorded three sacks, four QB hits, three QB hurries and three stops.
• Whitney Mercilus had his best performance since Week 6 (+5.3) last year as he posted a +4.9 overall rating, including a +4.4 pass rush rating. He outperformed Watt in recording four sacks and five stops on the day.
• Coming off his worst outing of his rookie season, Kevin Johnson had his best game, playing all 60 defensive snaps and posting a +3.2 overall rating. He allowed just one reception on three targets for 12 yards, good for a QB rating of 6.9 when targeted.
• John Simon was Houston’s lowest-rated defender (-2.7 overall) after being victimized in the passing game. He allowed six receptions on six targets for 55 yards including 35 yards after the catch.
• Punter Shane Lechler had his second-best game of the year with a +1.5 rating on his punts, while Nick Novak graded out at +0.6 on his kickoffs and field goals/extra points.
• Brian Hoyer ranks ninth in the league with a PFF QB rating of 91.47, and ninth in the league with an NFL QB Rating of 97.1. He ranks 13th in the league with 7.36 yards per attempt.
Titans vs Texans coverage