With the fourteenth (14th) pick of the 2016 BRB NFL Mock Draft, Bostonian Toro selects...
The biggest glaring need for the Raiders is safety. Looking at the draft board we have now and the BPA, I think the Raiders can get a SOLID safety with the 13th pick of the second round with at least one of the big 3 safeties (Bell, Neal or Joseph) available. So what direction should we go? One name jumped out at me: Ben Heeney... yep, I said Ben Heeney. I/MLB, BEN HEENEY. Looking at the BPA, I see the name Reggie Ragland and I think, this is the upgrade that is needed. Most mocks have Ragland going here. A lot of people might think ILB will go in the first for the Raiders. Lofton was released; they have no depth here at all. With the 22nd ranked defense, this seems smart, but look at the numbers at the end: 13th defense against the run, 9 games held the opponents to under 100 yards, 4 times holding them to under 45 yards. The problem is not stuffing the run, which is what Ragland excels at. It is the secondary which can be helped in the second.
So I figured let us look at Derek Carr and how we can make him better. He has a fairly solid run game, and Amari Cooper. He can get a good TE in the 3rd. Then I was thinking OT, and Jack Conklin looks like a great fit. The more I read into it over at Silver and Black Pride, the general consensus was that OT was either a touch and go or a serious issue. They just signed Kelechi Osemele for what looks like tackle money, even though he is a guard. They did resign Penn to a 2 year contract, but all the guaranteed money is in the 1st year, and he is getting older. The center of the O-Line is solid and with Penn (maybe?) and Watson, they should be able to give Carr a solid pocket to step up into. The O-line allowed 33 sacks last year, but they need to look to the future at LT for their franchise QB and give themselves depth in case of injury. They face the Denver and Kansas City defense twice each year, so protecting Carr is Priority #1. Conklin has VERY solid technique, is 6-6 and 308 lbs., very efficient as a run blocker, and is like a 2 ton truck with plat tires when it comes to pass blocking. Once he gets where he wants, he can't be moved. A 5.00 second 40 yard dash for a OT is just icing on the cake. This should set the Raiders' offense up for a long time.
With the 15th overall pick in the 2016 BRB Mock Draft, the Oakland Raiders take Jack Conlin (OT--Michigan State).
Roll.Texans.Roll, you and the Cowboys are on the clock with your pick going up at 4pm CDT today.
1. Tennessee Titans--Laremy Tunsil (OT--Ole Miss)
2. Cleveland Browns--Joey Bosa (DE--Ohio State)
3. San Diego Chargers--Jalen Ramsey (CB/S--FSU)
4. Los Angeles Rams--Carson Wentz (QB--NDSU)
5. Jacksonville Jaguars--Myles Jack (LB--UCLA)
6. Baltimore Ravens--DeForest Buckner (DL--Oregon)
7. San Francisco 49ers--Jared Goff (QB--California)
8. Philadelphia Eagles--Vernon Hargreaves III (CB--Florida)
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Ronnie Stanley (OT--Notre Dame)
10. New York Giants--Ezekiel Elliott (HB--Ohowihateohio State)
11. Chicago Bears--A'Shawn Robinson (DE/DT--Alabama)
12. New Orleans Saints--Sheldon Rankins (DT--Louisville)
13. Miami Dolphins--Eli Apple (CB--Ohowihateohio State)
14. Oakland Raiders--Jack Conlin (OT--Michigan State)
15. Dallas Cowboys--Roll.Texans.Roll
16. Detroit Lions--Huggy The Bear
17. Atlanta Falcons--athens_murder
18. Indianapolis Colts--FreedomRide
19. Buffalo Bills--Texstros9495
20. New York Jets--Houstonkingo
21. Washington Redskins--whiteiron
22. Houston Texans--BRB Staff
23. Minnesota Vikings--King_of_the_Gridiron
24. Cincinnati Bengals--Summer of Watt
25. Pittsburgh Steelers--GannonNash
26. Seattle Seahawks--thepencilneck
27. Green Bay Packers--FeedEmToTheWolves1099
28. Kansas City Chiefs--Senor Stan
29. Arizona Cardinals--HovaFlow
30. Carolina Panthers--Vance87
31. Denver Broncos--viper17d