The New York Jets started the 2015-2016 season as a hot team, winning four of the first five games of the season. The Jets suddenly dropped several games, making their record 5-5 with 6 games left in the season. They were in a crossroads. Either they win at least four of the next six games to break .500 (with a possibility at playoffs) or get ready for the offseason. Coach Todd Bowels rallied his team to go on a five game win streak, but came up short of a playoff berth in his first year as the head coach. The New York Jets showed the potential and drive to be a playoff team in the future, but all this was before the offseason, where things didn't go completely to plan.
The Jets lost starters Damon Harrison (NT/DT), Chris Ivory (RB), Antonio Cromartie (CB), Calvin Pace (LB), and possibly Ryan Fitzpatrick (QB). Although several of those positions had been filled, a great majority of them are still questionable. The positions of focus should be; Quarterback, Linebacker (OLB/ILB), Nose Tackle, Tight End, and Offensive Tackle.
Currently the Jets need a quarterback and there are a few worth taking in the first round. Specifically, Connor Cook and Paxton Lynch. I don't believe the Jets will take Lynch because they need a guy that can play right away and isn't much of a project. Cook would be my choice for a QB with this pick, except in this draft the Jets do not draft a QB and instead a LB.
Leonard Floyd, from the University of Georgia, and Shaq Lawson, form Clemson, are the two OLBs that come to mind. The Jets as of right now would be staring Sheldon Richardson and Trevor Reilly at OLB, according to Ourlads.com's depth chart of the New York Jets. Sheldon Richardson should be playing where he belongs on the defensive line. If that move occurs, the Jets will most likely move Lorenzo Mauldin to ROLB, replacing Richardson, but the LOLB spot is still in question. Veteran Calvin Pace was cut by the team and Trevor Reilly doesn't seem like a suitable replacement.
Floyd is the pick to fill the LOLB spot because he is lighter/faster than Lawson and actually played the position in college (Lawson was a DE and possibly a ROLB). Floyd ran a 4.6 second 40 yard dash and showed quickness and explosiveness in his positional drills. He has great instincts as a pass rusher, which he showed at Georgia. Floyd can be a special player for the Jets behind that terrifying defensive line by making plays all over the field.
Therefore, with the 20th selection in the 2016 NFL Draft, the New York Jets select Leonard Floyd (OLB--Georgia)
Whiteiron, you're next to keep things rolling and are officially on the clock for Washington, with your pick due to me or Matt by 12 p.m. CDT this afternoon.
1. Tennessee Titans--Laremy Tunsil (OT--Ole Miss)
2. Cleveland Browns--Joey Bosa (DE--Ohio State)
3. San Diego Chargers--Jalen Ramsey (CB/S--FSU)
4. Los Angeles Rams--Carson Wentz (QB--NDSU)
5. Jacksonville Jaguars--Myles Jack (LB--UCLA)
6. Baltimore Ravens--DeForest Buckner (DL--Oregon)
7. San Francisco 49ers--Jared Goff (QB--California)
8. Philadelphia Eagles--Vernon Hargreaves III (CB--Florida)
9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers--Ronnie Stanley (OT--Notre Dame)
10. New York Giants--Ezekiel Elliott (HB--Ohowihateohio State)
11. Chicago Bears--A'Shawn Robinson (DE/DT--Alabama)
12. New Orleans Saints--Sheldon Rankins (DT--Louisville)
13. Miami Dolphins--Eli Apple (CB--Ohowihateohio State)
14. Oakland Raiders--Jack Conlin (OT--Michigan State)
15. Dallas Cowboys--Noah Spence (DE/OLB--Eastern Kentucky)
16. Detroit Lions--Laquon Treadwell (WR--Ole Miss)
17. Atlanta Falcons--Darron Lee (LB--Ohio State)
18. Indianapolis Colts--Cody Whitehair (OG--Kansas State)
19. Buffalo Bills--Emmanuel Ogbah (DE--Oklahoma State)
20. New York Jets--Leonard Floyd (OLB--Georgia)
21. Washington Redskins--whiteiron
22. Houston Texans--BRB Staff
23. Minnesota Vikings--King_of_the_Gridiron
24. Cincinnati Bengals--Summer of Watt
25. Pittsburgh Steelers--GannonNash
26. Seattle Seahawks--thepencilneck
27. Green Bay Packers--FeedEmToTheWolves1099
28. Kansas City Chiefs--Senor Stan
29. Arizona Cardinals--HovaFlow
30. Carolina Panthers--Vance87
31. Denver Broncos--viper17d