A few quick notes on some of the main changes:
- Remember before the preseason, but after the 2016 NFL Draft, when the general idea was Jaelen Strong was probably going to be the number two receiver opposite DeAndre Hopkins? Those were good times. The preseason has not been kind to Strong, with Fuller proving to be better on the field, which has manifested in Fuller taking the starting job at WR2 over Strong. The real question here is just where Strong will fit into Houston’s offense.
- Alfred Blue is somehow still second in line behind Lamar Miller in the Texans; backfield. On a unrelated note, I’ve forwarded my massive stash of rabbit feet to Lamar Miller to make sure he doesn’t suffer the bad luck of getting injured.
- Chris Clark will be the starting LT in the place of still recovering Duane Brown.
- Christian Covington is now the starter at the LDE spot opposite J.J. Watt.
- The listing of Jadeveon Clowney OR John Simon at the JACK LB spot is interesting. It could mean that Clowney will be subbed in and out for Simon on particular downs, or Simon could be subbed in on 4-3 fronts when Clowney moves to one of the DE spots with Simon playing the OLB spot. Either way, expect to see the usual mixing and matching from the Texans on their defensive front to give the Bears problems.
- Quintin Demps will be the starting strong safety.
- On the Chicago side of things, Willie Young will start in the place of the injured Pernell McPhee at OLB.
- Rookie first round pick Leonard Floyd will be stuck behind Lamaar Houston at the OLB spot while second year man Eddie Goldman will hold down the starting NT spot for Chicago.
- New signing Josh Sitton has slid straight into a starting guard spot opposite Kyle Long. Needless to say, that’s going to be a good test for Covington and the rest of the Texans’ interior defensive line. Sunday will also mark the first snaps of Chicago’s 2015 first round pick, Kevin White, who missed his entire rookie season with an injury. White was the 7th overall pick in 2015 and was the second wide receiver taken after Amari Cooper.
What’s your take on these lineups, BRB? Anything that interests or concerns you? Let us know in the comments below.
Bears vs Texans coverage