The Houston Texans’ ongoing overhaul of the offensive line will continue with the signing of now-former Saints guard/tackle Senio Kelemete. Several outlets have reported the signing; however it looks like Ian Rapoport had it first:
The versatile lineman played in all 16 games with New Orleans last year, eight at guard and eight at tackle. He has started 22 of his 58 career games played.
Kelemete joins former Bills OT Seantrel Henderson and former Chiefs C/G Zach Fulton in this free agent class for Houston; the Texans are certainly throwing bodies at the offensive line problem. Despite the additions, after missing out on Nate Solder (who signed a monstrous deal with the New York Giants), the Texans still lack their 2018 starting left tackle (one would hope).
Saints beat writer Herbie Teope says the Saints tried to keep Kelemete, but he felt there was a better chance to start in Houston:
Offensive lineman Senio Kelemete is signing with the Houston Texans, according to a source. Saints GM Mickey Loomis worked very hard to keep Kelemete, I'm told, but the opportunity to potentially start was strong.— Herbie Teope (@HerbieTeope) March 14, 2018
Thoughts on the Texans signing of Kelemete, faithful readers? Keep checking back at Battle Red Blog for all the latest free agency news!
UPDATE: Further dissection of the terms of Kelemete’s contract with Houston...
Senio Kelemente received a $2.25m SB; salaries of $1.25m/$2.75m/$2.75m; $1.5m roster bonus on Mar 19; $500k in per game RB's in 18-20. 2018 salary guaranteed.— TexansCap (@TexansCap) March 15, 2018
UPDATE II: Seeing how fans of the team a player is leaving react to his departure can sometimes provide some idea into whether a free agent signing is worth getting excited about. In that vein, Saints fans seem bummed that Kelemente left New Orleans.
Take it from a Saints fan - Kelemete is a solid player. Don’t listen to analytics nerds— Don Takano (@DonTakano) March 14, 2018