Here we go - Week 17 is upon us and so is a game with no likely direct implications on Houston’s playoff future since they’ve already locked up the AFC South for the second straight year.
But like the shirt says, that ain’t enough. Houston needs to do all it can to make a deep dive into the postseason like never before. With the return of J.J. Watt for the NFL Playoffs, the magic that is Deshaun Watson to DeAndre Hopkins, and a rejuvenated defensive backfield. the Texans need to get their act in gear for the next month or so and be the best team they can be.
With all that in mind, here are the stats:
- Tennessee leads the all-time series 18-17
- Houston won the last 2 matchups, including the 24-21 victory just two short weeks ago
- Bill O’Brien is 8-3 vs the Titans while his former protege Mike Vrabel is 1-2 against the Texans
- The Texans offense is averaging 24.3 points per game while the defense is giving up 23.3
- The Titans offense is averaging 24.5 while their defense is coughing up 21.1
- Houston’s offense is gaining 366.1 yards per game and their defense is giving up 383.1
- Tennessee’s offense is gaining 355.9 yards/game and their defense is surrendering 363.4
- Deshaun Watson has completed 333 passes on 495 attempts for 3852 yards, 26 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and a 98.0 passer rating
- Ryan Tannehill has competed 188 passes on 266 attempts for 2544 yards, 20 touchdowns, 6 interceptions and a league leading 116.5 passer rating
- Carlos Hyde leads Houston with 241 carries for 1057 yards, a 4.4 yard per carry average and 6 touchdowns
- Derrick Henry leads the Not-The-Oilers with 271 attempts, 1329 yards, a 4.9 yard per carry average and 13 touchdowns. Henry gained 86 yards with a 4.1 yard average when last facing Houston
- DeAndre Hopkins has his 3rd straight season with 100+ catches, having 104 so far this year for 1165 yards, an 11.2 yard per catch average and 7 touchdowns, plus 1 touchdown pass
- Titan rookie A.J. Brown has 48 catches for 927 yards, a 19.3 yard per catch average and 7 scores
- Whitney Mercilus leads all Houston defenders with 7.5 sacks, including 2 last week vs Tampa Bay
- Harold Landry leads the Titans with 9 sacks
- Tashaun Gipson leads Houston with 3 interceptions, while Bradley Roby has 2 including a pick-six last week
- Kevin Byard and Logan Ryan each have 4 picks for the Titans
- Houston is currently at +1 in turnovers with 22 takeaways and 21 giveaways
- Tennessee is currently ay +5 with 22 takeaways and 17 giveaways
- Deshaun Watson has 12 TDs (10 pass, 2 rush) vs. 4 picks & 114.1 rating in 4 career starts vs. Tennessee. This week he’s shooting for his 3rd in row at home vs. the Titans with 2+ pass TDs, rush TD & 125+ rating. Watson is 5-1 in his past 6 at home vs. division. Has 26 TD passes in 2019 & needs 3 TD passes to tie MATT SCHAUB (29 in 2009) for most in single season in franchise history
- Ryan Tannehill passed for 272 yards with 3 TDs vs. 0 INTs for 133.6 rating in Week 16. He had 3 TDs (2 pass, 1 rush) in last meeting. Tannehill aims for his 3rd in row on road vs. AFC South with 115+ rating & his 7th start in row with 2+ TD passes
- Carlos Hyde had 1 rushing TD last week. Rushed for 104 yards & TD in Week 15 meeting. Has 1st-career 1,000-yard rushing season (1,057) & needs 43 rush yards to become 1st Texans RB with 1,100 rush yards since Arian Foster (2014)
- Derrick Henry had 86 rush yards in Week 15 meeting. Henry has 9 rush TDs in his past 7 vs. AFC South. Has 5 TDs (4 rush, 1 rec.) in his past 3 on road & aims for his 4th in row on road with 95+ scrimmage yards & TD. Since 2018, ranks 2nd in NFL with 25 rush TDs
- DeAndre Hopkins is 1 of 2 WRs (alongside Saints’ Michael Thomas) with 5+ receptions in each of 1st 15 games of season. Had 119 rec. yards in Week 15 meeting. D-Hop has 83 receptions for 1,313 yards (101 per game) & 7 TDs in 13 career games vs. Tennessee. He has 4 receiving TDs in his past 4 vs. division. Nuk needs 6 receptions & 35 rec. yards to become 3rd player in NFL history with 3 career seasons of 110+ receptions & 1,200+ rec. yards
- Kenny Stills had 2 rec. TDs in last meeting
- A.J. Brown had 49-yard TD run in Week 16, his 4th TD of 45+ yards in 2019. He had 8 catches for 114 yards & TD in last meeting. Brown aims for his 4th in row with TD. He currently leads all rookies with 927 rec. yards this season & can become 2nd rookie in (Houston) franchise history (Ernest Givens - 1986) with 1,000+ rec. yards. (note that no Titan has ever done this, only a Houston Oiler)
- Corey Davis had 135 scrimmage yards (96 rec., 39 rush) & TD catch in last road meeting.
- Whitney Mercilus had 2 sacks in Week 16, his 12th career game with 2+ sacks. Mercilus had 1 interception in last meeting and 1.5 sacks in last home meeting
- Zach Cunningham had 14 tackles in last meeting. Has 16 tackles in 2 of his past 3 at home.
- Jurrell Casey had 4th sack of season last week. Has sack in 2 of his past 3 on road vs. AFC South
- Bradley Roby had 2 passes defensed & 27-yard pick six last week, his 3rd career pick six.
- Justin Reid had an interception and a fumble recovery in Week 16
- Logan Ryan had 1 pass defensed last week & ties for 2nd in NFL with 18 PD in 2019. He forced 1 fumble in last meeting
- Kevin Byard is only player with 4+ INTs in each of past 3 seasons
There you have it, the last “Quick Hits” for the 2019 season. Which stats have surprised you the most this year? Give us your thoughts in the comments box.