LA is currently angling for playoff contention while Houston is currently as far from that as humanly possible. A tale of 2 franchises, as it were, one launching out of a rebuild, the other so far below it that they’re going further down than any team has gone before.
These teams have met 7 times previously with the Chargers holding a 5-2 lead over H-Town. The last game was on 9/22/19 with Houston winning 27-20. The Texans have won 2 of the last 3 matchups.
Los Angeles Chargers Key Stats
- QB JUSTIN HERBERT passed for 236 yards & had 3 TDs (2 pass, 1 rush) vs. INT last week. Aims for 6th in row with 2+ TD passes. Has 115+ rating in 2 of past 3. Aims for his 4th in row on road with 300+ pass yards. Ranks 3rd in NFL with 4,058 pass yards & is 2nd player ever (JAMEIS WINSTON) with 4,000+ pass yards in each of 1st 2 seasons. Has 8,394 career pass yards, most- ever by player in 1st 2 seasons.
- RB AUSTIN EKELER had 82 scrimmage yards (59 rush, 23 rec.) & rush TD last week. Has TD in 6 straight games, longest TD streak of career. Aims for 6th in row with 80+ scrimmage yards. Had 81 scrimmage yards (45 rec., 36 rush) & 7 catches in last meeting. Is only player in NFL with 10+ rush TDs (10) & 5+ rec. TDs (7) this season.
- RB JUSTIN JACKSON had season-high 99 scrimmage yards (86 rush, 13 rec.) in Week 15.
- WR KEENAN ALLEN had 6 catches for 78 yards & TD last week. Aims for 3rd in row with rec. TD. Has 75+ rec. yards in 6 of past 7. Had 13 catches for career-high 183 yards & 2 TDs in last meeting. Is only player in NFL with 90+ catches in each of past 5 seasons.
- WR MIKE WILLIAMS has 5+ catches in 2 of past 3.
- WR JALEN GUYTON aims for 4th in row with rec. TD.
- S DERWIN JAMES ranks tied-3rd among DBs with 102 tackles. Has 5+ tackles in 12 of his 13 games this season.
- LB KYZIR WHITE led team with 9 tackles & had TFL last week. Aims for 10th in row with 8+ tackles.
- LB UCHENNA NWOSU had 2 PD & 1st- career INT last week.
Houston Texans Key Stats
- QB DAVIS MILLS (rookie) completed 19 of 30 atts. (63.3 pct.) for 209 yards & 2 TDs vs. INT for 92.2 rating last week. Aims for 3rd in row with 90+ rating. Has 7 TDs vs. INT for 106.9 rating in 4 home starts this season. Aims for his 4th home start in row with 300+ pass yards & 90+ rating. Ranks 2nd among rookies with 65.6 comp. pct, 10 TD passes & 82.2 rating this season.
- RB REX BURKHEAD had 83 scrimmage yards (68 rec., 15 rush) & 7 catches in his last game vs. LAC (10/29/17 w/ NE). Has 50+ scrimmage yards in 2 of his past 3 at home.
- RB DAVID JOHNSON had 79 scrimmage yards (63 rush, 16 rec.) in only career game vs. LAC (11/25/18 w/ Az.). Has 50+ scrimmage yards in 2 of his past 3 at home.
- WR BRANDIN COOKS had 7 catches for 102 yards & season- high 2 TDs last week, his 4th 100-yard game this season. Aims for 3rd in row with 7+ catches & 100+ rec. yards. Had 7 catches for 90 yards in his last game vs. LAC (9/23/18 w/ LAR). Needs 55 rec. yards for 6th-career season with 1,000+ rec. yards.
- WR PHILLIP DORSETT had season-high 43 rec. yards in Week 15. Rookie
- TE BREVIN JORDAN has rec. TD in 2 of his past 3.
- LB GARRET WALLOW (rookie) tied for team lead with career- high 11 tackles & had 1st-career sack last week.
- DE DEREK RIVERS had career-high 2 TFL & 1st sack of season in Week 15.
- DE CHRIS SMITH had 1st sack of season last week.
- S ERIC MURRAY had 8 tackles & PD last week.
- CB TAVIERRE THOMAS tied for team lead with career-high 11 tackles in Week 15.
The real key moment to watch for on Sunday will happen after the game is over: Will David Culley find himself without a job soon after Houston loses this game?