In what will be the first of 3 losses to finish this abysmal year out, your Houston Texans will give the gift of holiday cheer to the Los Angeles Chargers in the form of an easy win.
LA is currently angling for playoff contention while Houston is currently as far from that as humanly possible. A tale of 2 franchises, as it were, one launching out of a rebuild, the other so far below it that they’re going further down than any team has gone before.
These teams have met 7 times previously with the Chargers holding a 5-2 lead over H-Town. The last game was on 9/22/19 with Houston winning 27-20. The Texans have won 2 of the last 3 matchups.
Los Angeles Chargers Key Stats
- QB JUSTIN HERBERT passed for 236 yards & had 3 TDs (2 pass, 1 rush) vs. INT last week. Aims for 6th in row with 2+ TD passes. Has 115+ rating in 2 of past 3. Aims for his 4th in row on road with 300+ pass yards. Ranks 3rd in NFL with 4,058 pass yards & is 2nd player ever (JAMEIS WINSTON) with 4,000+ pass yards in each of 1st 2 seasons. Has 8,394 career pass yards, most- ever by player in 1st 2 seasons.
- RB AUSTIN EKELER had 82 scrimmage yards (59 rush, 23 rec.) & rush TD last week. Has TD in 6 straight games, longest TD streak of career. Aims for 6th in row with 80+ scrimmage yards. Had 81 scrimmage yards (45 rec., 36 rush) & 7 catches in last meeting. Is only player in NFL with 10+ rush TDs (10) & 5+ rec. TDs (7) this season.
- RB JUSTIN JACKSON had season-high 99 scrimmage yards (86 rush, 13 rec.) in Week 15.
- WR KEENAN ALLEN had 6 catches for 78 yards & TD last week. Aims for 3rd in row with rec. TD. Has 75+ rec. yards in 6 of past 7. Had 13 catches for career-high 183 yards & 2 TDs in last meeting. Is only player in NFL with 90+ catches in each of past 5 seasons.
- WR MIKE WILLIAMS has 5+ catches in 2 of past 3.
- WR JALEN GUYTON aims for 4th in row with rec. TD.
- S DERWIN JAMES ranks tied-3rd among DBs with 102 tackles. Has 5+ tackles in 12 of his 13 games this season.
- LB KYZIR WHITE led team with 9 tackles & had TFL last week. Aims for 10th in row with 8+ tackles.
- LB UCHENNA NWOSU had 2 PD & 1st- career INT last week.
Houston Texans Key Stats
- QB DAVIS MILLS (rookie) completed 19 of 30 atts. (63.3 pct.) for 209 yards & 2 TDs vs. INT for 92.2 rating last week. Aims for 3rd in row with 90+ rating. Has 7 TDs vs. INT for 106.9 rating in 4 home starts this season. Aims for his 4th home start in row with 300+ pass yards & 90+ rating. Ranks 2nd among rookies with 65.6 comp. pct, 10 TD passes & 82.2 rating this season.
- RB REX BURKHEAD had 83 scrimmage yards (68 rec., 15 rush) & 7 catches in his last game vs. LAC (10/29/17 w/ NE). Has 50+ scrimmage yards in 2 of his past 3 at home.
- RB DAVID JOHNSON had 79 scrimmage yards (63 rush, 16 rec.) in only career game vs. LAC (11/25/18 w/ Az.). Has 50+ scrimmage yards in 2 of his past 3 at home.
- WR BRANDIN COOKS had 7 catches for 102 yards & season- high 2 TDs last week, his 4th 100-yard game this season. Aims for 3rd in row with 7+ catches & 100+ rec. yards. Had 7 catches for 90 yards in his last game vs. LAC (9/23/18 w/ LAR). Needs 55 rec. yards for 6th-career season with 1,000+ rec. yards.
- WR PHILLIP DORSETT had season-high 43 rec. yards in Week 15. Rookie
- TE BREVIN JORDAN has rec. TD in 2 of his past 3.
- LB GARRET WALLOW (rookie) tied for team lead with career- high 11 tackles & had 1st-career sack last week.
- DE DEREK RIVERS had career-high 2 TFL & 1st sack of season in Week 15.
- DE CHRIS SMITH had 1st sack of season last week.
- S ERIC MURRAY had 8 tackles & PD last week.
- CB TAVIERRE THOMAS tied for team lead with career-high 11 tackles in Week 15.
The real key moment to watch for on Sunday will happen after the game is over: Will David Culley find himself without a job soon after Houston loses this game?